Posted in General Ramblings on Nov 3, 2012
Today is my first mentoring session at the Santa Cruz county animal shelter and I’m really excited! I want to put the word out about this fantastic shelter since I feel like there is so much gained from giving back to our community and these fabulous animals. If you are interested in volunteering, here is the process for getting involved:
1. First, go to their website and get your information in their system. Volunteer Application
2. Pre-register for the general volunteer orientation. Sign Up
3. Attend a species specific orientation. This is where you choose to work with dogs, cats or rabbits! You can always cross-train later to work with more than one…
4. Be part of at least 2 mentoring sessions with an experienced volunteer. (This is the step that I am doing this morning…) This is where they make sure you understand how to handle the dogs, know your way around the shelter and follow the shelter policies correctly. After two or more (depending on your comfort level) of these sessions, you are ready to start working on your own!
5. Finally, you just need to start scheduling your shifts.
I am also amazed at how many different workshops and free opportunities are provided by the shelter. There are workshops on dog training, canine body language, photography and much more!
If you have been considering volunteering but haven’t done so yet and have questions, feel free to drop me a line! I’d be happy to share my experiences so far in this process…